Saturday, October 3, 2009

First Day In My Hood

So this Thursday, 10/1/09, I went to get some food. It was my first day in the neighborhood actually living here. The closest Chinese place was on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive which is like a few blocks away. So I go.. And... It's mostly black. I was like where the fuck am I??? There was some Latinos too but seems like black people don't like em. 3 black girls were walking in a parking lot and a Mexican driving trying to get out. 1 of the girls started to scream at him like 'why you in my way?' or some shit.. I don't know. I park. Go in to get some orange chicken. One brother eating there and everybody else who comes in are black. It's one of those squared shaped parking lots that got shops, laundry mats, etc.. in a circle around it. There is a lot of those stops here in L.A.

I also went to Ross to get some home supplies. The parking lot is ghetto as hell. Garbage everywhere on the floor. Ross employees are mostly black or people of color. Sooooooo many sisters. Some were checking me out. One of the dark skinned ones was doing something by me so I asked for help. I talked a lil and really felt like I should 'take it there' right at that moment. But I was nervous so I said ty for help. Then I was like dang... she likes me. I can feel it. I went back to ask for help (was nervous as hell and almost didn't do it). She directed me and I'm like what's your name? Then I said how about you and me hang out sometime. She was like 'not right now' but she seemed real excited. I should've came back after that and taken it from there but decided not to. Next time I must act on instinct becuase once I let that first moment go I start to get more and move nervous until I don't even wanna go talk to her again. I almost didn't do it the 2nd time too. But I really think meditation helps me to stay calm.

Dang.. I was like the only white boy on Martin Luther King Jr... I saw another one on the bus stop, and another one but he was a bum. Man... This is my hood. I mean I like it in a way because I care for the black community on a deeper level. I just hope there is not gonna be another Rodney King happening anytime soon. Can't beat this house though. It is the BEST deal I could get and had only 5 days to find a place. I did it! SO proud of myself.

No comments: