Monday, October 6, 2014

The Diary of Anne Frank MOVIE REVIEW

As I found out there are many version under this title. The one I watched if the 2009 version. Trailer is at the bottom.

Wow, I didn't expect this. This movie hit home for me. I want to talk about something. I want to talk about who you are; you as a person. What makes you you? Why are you the way you are? Where do you get your fears from? Your limitations? Your dreams, goals? What is freedom? Is it something that is physical that's confined in the physical world? Like not being in prison, does that equal to being totally free to you? I am asking this because when I started watching The Diary of Anne Frank, at first it was just another World War II movie for me. And the thing is, I am Jewish, and my ancestors were from Europe who went through War, and have escaped the Nazis.

So as I am watching this movie, there is this part that comes up where Anne and her family fled their home and end up in Amsterdam, I think. They end up in a hide out house of some friends. So in this one scene, Anne says the following words, "I feel so strange being so close the outside world". Something to that extent. The way I understood it, was that Anne is either feels shut off or so close to the outside world, yet she can't join it. She looks outside the windows and watches life passes her by, but she can't leave her building. Because if she does, she will be arrested, and eventually killed. Right there, it hit me; I AM LIVING THIS LIFE!!!!!!! I am the one who is home almost my entire life looking outside my window observing life passes it by. I am the one afraid to go outside because 'terrible things may happen'. I kind of always wondered where all these weird fears I have come from, considering I have PTSD.

Well, if there is anything I learned about myself and this 'you' I am speaking of, it comes down to several things. One of these 'yous' that is eternally part of you, is from your past lives. All of the lives you have lived are part of and will always be this 'you'. These other 'yous' that you've lived help you and make your next incarnation easier to navigate, as you gain more experience. The other part of 'you', is your ancestry. This means that all of the ancestors that have lived before you, are inside of you, whether you want to admit to it or not. All of the traumas, hurts, pains, dreams, fears, joys, etc.. are there inside of your DNA. I had a friend once who told me, "if you want to know about yourself, learn your own history." He was totally right.

And there is this other part where the single doctor joins the family in the hiding, and he says at some point "I can't just sit here all day." And that's exactly what I have been doing, sitting in my room nearly all day! I spent the entire weekend at home, considering it was hot as hell! I didn't even go to the beach! And it was the hottest day of the year. I have been living this way damn near all my life! And no one understands me. Shrinks just think I just 'need to get there'. Other shrinks I had thought I was all good once I started talking to girls, when in reality I was still hiding in my room. No one until this very day understands me, and why I am the way I am. They all think I am 'weird.'

The only thing I can say is that, if you want to know about who you are, learn about your history. Things will be very clear if you dig deep. And I am someone who always distanced myself from my heritage because I've been around Jews who were overly proud and annoying. I don't like labels, so I am not the type of person who'd talk about my heritage every 5 minutes. But some people can't shut up about their background. And half the time you're around them, they'll spend talking about how they are Italian, what's Italy like, how Italian women are like. My god... I can only take so much of that, regardless of your background. Knowing your history and your people is one thing, but being obsessed with it thinking it's the only thing in this universe is down right irritating.

I give this movie 3.5/5 stars. I enjoyed it, the movie even made me look up Anne's story, and I even learned something about myself. There could be better versions out there, though. I don't know. I haven't looked.




No comments: