Sunday, November 17, 2013

Adrift, Movie REVIEW

I have been watching a lot of Brazilian movies lately, as I am drawn to Brazilian culture more and more. I have just seen Adrift (À Deriva in Portuguese). It is about a family that is going through a separation as they are all away on a vacation living at their beach house. As their children are hanging out with other kids exploring sexuality, and having fun, things start to unfold little by little to Filipa-the main character.

This movie is very emotional. It is not very often that a film would take me away and make me forget completely about who I am and things I am dealing with in my personal life. And this movie did just that. I don't know why, exactly. Maybe it is because my parents got divorced when I was four years old, none of which I can remember. And maybe it stroke a chord inside of me and I could relate to the characters and the drama that was unfolding on a subconscious level. Or maybe it was because the director, Heitor Dhalia, and/or the writer, Claudio Carvalho, did a hell of a good job at making such an amazing film. Whatever the reason is, I got to give this movie 5/5 stars because it was absolutely brilliant. Movies like this are the types that are overlooked, forgotten, and never see the light of day because everyone is too busy overhyping all the big blockbusters that are overrated as fuck! If I knew more titles like this, I would watch them all. But life doesn't work that ways, unfortunately. Sometimes you come across a film coincidently, and it could just talk to you in ways that no other movies do. This is one of those movies.


No comments: