Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Truth about World of Warcraft & Blizzard

I have recently quit playing WoW, and for a good reason. After finding out why Blizzard has us all playing their game, I can no longer support it. It has come to my attention that Blizzard does not care about you nor me, their customers who keep giving them our money to play their boring game. And yes, their game is indeed boring. The old days of World of Warcraft, when you could get together a group of 20, 40, 50, 100 people and raid towns in the name of FUN, are over and will most likely never be back.

The early days of WoW were the best. That's when the epic battles all across Azeroth took place. That's when people raided towns together with up to 200 members in a raid group, and then some! This was before Honor, before Battlegrounds, and the stupid, boring, and redundant Arena. Once they came up with PvP gear, and all these other ideas for "PvPing", the game started to lose its essence. Now no matter how many times people ask, plead, or BEG Blizzard on their forums to bring this FUN back into the game, no one listens and their threads are just filled with other peoples replies of support.



The real truth of this new World of Warcraft is this people. Blizzard has come up with a system in which you are the robot, and they (Blizzard, the company) control your actions. "PvP" is now done when Blizzard tell you, how they tell, and why. When is when they gather you and the other poor souls in the same Battleground, Arena, or Wintergrasp. How is when they tell you the rules of that Battleground, Arena, or Wintergrasp, and why is basically "you get a little piece of a cookie" aka reward, for which you'll have to come back and redo the whole experience again from a few hundred up to a few thousand times so you can get your piece of gear. Then you'll just have to redo the whole experience again to get more and more gear. It really is depressing into what Blizzard has turned into.

Blizzard has turned into a hungry eating money machine. They have a system in which they keep their players occupied with stuff to do until they get their reward. This is incorporated into daily questing, daily BGs, daily random dungeons, and many other "reward systems" they have came up with. However, it doesn't stop there. After the players get their reward, there is more and more rewards to get (i.e. gear, weapons, trinkets, pets, mounts, etc.) After this repetitive motion of clicking your mouse and getting your reward, you finally get all the rewards you wanted to get, and then what? And then Blizzard comes up with new rewards for you to get, that's what! Every fucking 4 months or so Blizzard releases new material, new Arena season, new gear, new dungeons. Every four or so months you just redo what you have been doing already without ever even having a chance to enjoy your rewards you worked your ass off on getting in the first place. You are just a puppy on a string, and Blizzard is your master.


The "War" in Warcraft has been gone for so long, that this game is simply not fun anymore. Most people playing this game don't even know why they play it. I have recently joined Retail because I wasn't able to do so in the past and for over a year I have been trying to enjoy this game. In the back of my mind I was always thinking "when I get to 80, I'll finally enjoy the World PvP". When I got to 80 I kept saying "when I gear up, I'll finally enjoy World PvP". Then I rerolled a different class. So after a little more than a year, I realized that there is no World PvP, and this game is a big master that has made us its slave.

Blizzard doesn't care about what you want, they only care about how they can keep you hooked every month to pay them $15. That is their #1 priority. And I haven't even talked about their pet store. You will be shocked at how much money they generate from it, like their latest "Celestial Mount Steed". I have been their supporter since Warcraft II, and I can no longer say that this is the same company that I have known for it's perfection. They have "sold out" to me, and I will never look at them the same again.


Just to give you a few examples of their gimmicks into how they are keeping you hooked on WoW. I am a Jewelecrafter. For those that don't know about this game, it is a profession in which you craft gems, which go into peoples' gear to make it stronger. Blizzard has come up with a "dailies" system God knows when. They have came up with dailies for JC (Jewelcrafter) profession. Which means you do 1 daily quest to get 1 JC token. There are JC vendors that sell JC recipes. One JC recipe goes anywhere from 2 to 4 tokens. There is around 100 or so recopies total, but let's say combining all the 2 JC ones there is around 75. So that is 75 JC recipes for you to purchase that could cut epic gems. Each recipe is 4 JC tokens, 75 x 4 = 300. And since you could only attain 1 JC token per day, you would need 300 days of playing WoW to learn every freaking epic JC recipe.

Now let's look at Arena. This "PvP" system in which you must fight in a fucking box, yes a box with different barriers, from which you get your arena points, from which you buy your PvP gear. You get your Arena points depending on your rating per week. Did you read that last part? Per week? Can you say... slavery? Here is their Arena rating system




In order to get good PvP gear you'll need anywhere from 1,000 up to 3,000 Arena points per 1 stinking gear. In order to get that much points per week, you would have to be one bad ass mother fucker. Which means it is impossible to do unless you already have good gear! Can you see math here? You'll have to spend at least a month or two in Arena in order to get mediocre gear, and THEN you'll have to work on your rating by fighting countless other matches in which you'll pretty much be Blizzard's bitch by doing something you have already done for the last year, over and over again if you are a PvP lover and want your PvP gear. Do you not see how this works?

Same thing happens with Battlegrounds. Only in BGs they use Honor as a reward. Same principle, different system. Every time you came back to play WoW every few months, your gear is outdated because new Arena season has started. Which means you'll have to get Arena team, join some BGs, and pretty much do the same shit over and over again until the cows come home. And a few months later guess what, new gear, new rewards, and it's GG because this is how Blizzard makes you, the player, keep playing their game, and keep giving them your money.

This is the new World of Warcraft we play today, and this is when I saw the truth. All these small PvP wars that happen are nothing compared to what PvP used to be like, and it will never be the same.

You think I'm alone on this? Think again. There have been hundreds, if not thousands of threads posted on WoW suggestion forums with people asking Blizzard to either bring back classic realms, or World PvP. But so far nothing has been done. Here is one I just found just now http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=5540055578&sid=1&pageNo=1

"Background: I haven't always loved PVP, the idea of getting pwned by some vicious 13 year old as he guzzles soft drinks and eats taquitos depressed me, but after I participated in my first raid on Elwynn, I found out what PVP really was. A complete and total thrill. Chaos, excitement, rezzing and healing with magic bolts flying everywhere and an awesome amount of sword and axe-driven carnage thrown in for good measure. A true sense of danger and excitement. It took 50 Alli coming down from SW to fight us off that day. Screen shots were taken, a movie was made. I was hooked.

I liked it so much that when I got to level 60, I formed my own pvp guild. 10 of us at first. Now it is the largest PVP guild on my server. We run raids against Alli cities, small and large. We have downed most of the faction bosses. It was crazy fun. .... But over the past year it has become harder and harder to form raids. Most of the best PVPers wait in queues for hours every week to play arena that they don't like because it's the only way to advance their gear. They fight in a box for a few weeks and they get one of the absolute best items WoW has to offer. What do we get when we down a faction boss? 3 silver and a roasted quail.

I do arena, also. But I despise it. It's always the same... one target is chosen, they are burned down, another goes down, and we win. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth. We fight in a pen for a few minutes; then it's all over. Is that what end-game PVP for an MMORPG is supposed to be like? Nothing epic, sweeping or inspiring... It makes me sad."


Well said brother. This game is just pathetic nowadays. I will pick up a copy of Cataclysm to give it one last chance. But after that if things are still the same, Blizzard will never have my respect and I will forever look at them as a bunch of sell outs who chose money over giving the people what they want.

R.I.P. World of Warcraft, a game that was once fun.

R.I.P. Blizzard Entertainment, a company that once was making video games before all this money came into the picture

18 comments:

Steve said...

Good one, I could not agree more, Real life FTW !

Unknown said...

WOW!!!, that makes perfect sense, to bad theres no way i could ever quit WoW, i guess ill just have to be a rat in a maze.....very well spoken

Anonymous said...

dude, well put together /cheer

Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP! After all that bashing and hating, you're gonna give them one more chance?! How many chances have you given them? Patch after patch after patch, on top of two expansions!

Grow some balls and let Blizz know how you really feel by NOT PAYING THEM (they'll listen them), or STFU and quit whining.

Felix said...

I agree with the person above. You say all this and finish the article by saying you're buying the expansion?

Way to be a hypocrite!

SP said...

The reason why I said I'll "give them one more chance" is because I have 1 more 60-day card left. I was going to use it up, but didn't because of many reasons.

And hey, I want to see how boring and redundant their new expansion really is so I can have an opinion on it too. It will be like a game review. I am more then 99.9% sure that it will be the same exact format as the Lich King.

From the things I've read about Cataclysm, they'll just move WG to the new area and things will pretty much be the same all over again. New races, new this, new that, but it will be just another money sucking scheme by Blizzard. So don't worry about me not paying them any longer. I haven't since last year when I got the last 2 60-day cards.

I am way involved in improving myself in every aspect of my life to go back and let this game control me.

You know, maybe I won't even go back to buy the expansion and use up the 10-Day Free trial they'll offer me. I don't know. I am still kinda in that "playing WoW" mentality because I realized all this stuff I typed up within the last 2 months, and quit playing this game very recently. My mind was set on using up that last 60-day card. So yeah, I can see how you think I'm a hypocrite. But best believe, I'm not.

Anonymous said...

Dude you are fucking stupid. First off, what would you do with all your gear once you got it if there was never an upgrade? You would get BORED and stop playing the game that you are claiming is too boring to play with objectives to obtain. Secondly World PVP isnt something that blizard controls, why not go to Stormwind/orgimar and attack all the horde/alliance you want. THAT WOULD BE WORLD PVP, unscheduled by Blizard. Im seriously confused as to what you think would be to gain by having nothing left to gain by playing this game? So you obtain the Gear, in two fucking days and become the god of PVP or PVE and no one can ever do shit about it. People like you are the reason why WoW has become such a pussy video game. All you little girls do is bitch and moan about how hard it is to play shit and thats why gear is easier than it has ever been to obtain. You are right, the game has gotten to a point where its too easy to play and its no longer fun, but you know what. Dont play it, if your goal is to better your life then why did you got so far out of your way to Bitch about something that well wasnt important in the first place. In general, get a fucking life play the game because you want to or dont, but dont blame other people or the company for making a game that works well, makes millions and you yourself cant even stop playing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SP said...

"People like you are the reason why WoW has become such a pussy video game. All you little girls do is bitch and moan about how hard it is to play shit and thats why gear is easier than it has ever been to obtain."

Really? So if an idiot who joins a PvP server bitches and moans to Blizzard by writing them letters that he can't enjoy his time leveling because he keeps getting corpse camped while he never properly read the server description before making his toon, and Blizzard takes him and hundreds if not thousands of people like him seriously. Then one day they said "enough, no more World PvP". Now it's my fault Wow sux? About a year ago when I joined Retail an 80 Rogue kept ganking in Goldshire for 3 hours (PvP server) and a GM actually came out there and "screamed" at him to stop. Why in the hell would GM come out to "save" some lowbie who can't even read the server rules? Blizzard cares so much about their players, that they will bend ass backwards and buy into their needs instead of telling them like it is on some "look, you don't like it you can go reroll on a PvE realm or transfer. those are your only options". Instead, they chose to wipe the ass of every fucking idiot who complains and can't properly read before he joins the game. I mean seriously Blizzard, WTF!?

SP said...

"You are right, the game has gotten to a point where its too easy to play and its no longer fun, but you know what. Dont play it, if your goal is to better your life then why did you got so far out of your way to Bitch about something that well wasnt important in the first place. In general, get a fucking life play the game because you want to or dont, but dont blame other people or the company for making a game that works well, makes millions and you yourself cant even stop playing."

It's not that the game has gotten too easy to play that is boring. It's the fact that every few months or so old content becomes a fart in the air. I love PvE, but you know what? I only done Naxx 1 time entirely. I never had a chance to raid Ulduar except for 1 "weekly" boss. Why? Because no one does them anymore since there is "new" content. That's not to include "PvP" gear which is the dumbest idea ever implemented by Blizzard. PvP gear is just an extra 5 fucking months outside of PvE to waste in the game, and was completely a useless gimmick that is extremely time consuming. Point being, back even in BC when you wanted to raid a 25 man raid like BT, you neeeded to gear in a 10 raid like ZA. Now? All you do is run "Randoms" a thousand times until you get your triumph badges, gear up in PvE gear, and go straight to ICC. All the old content is long gone and forgotten. And I never even been in a raid that downed 1 boss in ICC. The only time we came close we wiped, and all because I had 95% of PvP gear. They told me I did a good job, but need to go gear up in PvE gear and then raid with them again. In other words, more time to waste for me in WoW, no thanks.

サイ said...

You posted this on wowdetox, and yet you are going back into the game? If you are at all serious about helping yourself you would throw your 60-day card in the trash and move on.

Your whine post about wow being an endless game of carrot-on-a-stick is nothing short of cliche. MMOs take up all your time at the detriment of real life. You have the nerv to post on wowdetox. and you are still playing the damb thing?

at least you are consistent in your shameless hypocrisy.

SP said...

hey, shit for brains. get some glasses before you reply. thanks.

BP said...

Very good analysis.. perfect reasoning but too bad for me, despite knowing all these i simply cannot give it up still =( There are so many factors holding me back i reckon.. if you're out of the game, please do not make a mistake and go back in..

Anonymous said...

Well the repetitive nature of WoW is due to no other game that is better atm. When SWTOR comes out next spring(latest game engine+graphics)it could and should be the WoW killer we all have been anticipating..Until then just play this game casually and relax...Remember it's another reason you sit too much in front of the pc....Get out of the house and go make some money.....

Anonymous said...

My b/f got me into Wow. I played for 2.5 years, my 1st toon was a blood elf ret paly. Then I made a few more toons, different classes. Both factions. I got sick of questing to level so I was happy when we could level in bgs and I leveled instancing. Then level 80 and you need to get gear, hated the grind, thousands of bgs to get a piece of decent gear. I could never do arena to get good gear casue my gear sucked to win. I HATE that when the new gear comes out you have to DELETE your old pieces, you can't vendor it or save any gems. It's BS! All that grinding to get that piece, all the gold spent on enchants and gems, all down the toilet. It made me think. I will never catch up, casue it's constant upgrades. And at the end all my time I spent on getting 'old' gear ends up DELETED! I added up all my toons /played time nad it came to 217 days, 23 hours and 32 minutes, that's 7 months and 28 days of my life playing that game!!! I am in my 20's and I decided life is too short to waste my youth, best years of my life on a video game, I will play video games when I will be old and homebound lonely old woman, not going to waste my youth. Hate the grind, hate the constant gear upgrades, and hate ninjas. Everytime I get thinkng about Wow I remember what I hate about it. I chose RL (real life)!!!

Anonymous said...

lololol wow what a cry baby! if u dont like the game dont put out some big sob story and bitch about it.. if u dont like the game then GTFO!

Joker said...

This argument can go either way. SP your opinion is that it is the same shit over and over again just different patches and new upgrades. Well from that point of view the game would get boring if there are no upgrades at a certain point. If you get everything you want and then do nothing else but world pvp, arena, raids to help others get gears, etc. you will get bored at one point and leave the game anyways since there is nothing new for you to do. Which is why Blizzard releases new content and upgrades so you have something to do and of course keep playing. But that is just one way of looking at it. Then again other will think that it is so repetitive and all Blizzard is doing is making you their puppets and you keep paying and keep playing by redoing the same things over for new gears as you have done for the previous ones.

Well either way everyone has their own opinions. I know its hard to get gears and you have to work hard it order to earn them (not to mention work hard to level up as well if your a newbie), but at the same time it also sucks when everyone else is getting ahead with getting new gears and doing new instances while the old ones are all forgotten.

But then again that's just the way it is. There is nothing you can do about it. At the end you have 2 options. Keep paying and playing or stop playing and move on to other games. I see no sense in saying "Blizzard is this and Blizzard is that". Not all 10 million subscribers or however many there are will agree with your opinion so really no point in any of this. Best thing to do is store all the good memories, leave it behind, and move on with a smile on your face.

Sp said...

Cataclysm is garbage. Here is my review.

p.s. Where is a good place to sell WoW accounts? I haven't been successful with craigslist

http://libraliving.blogspot.com/2011/02/cataclysm-is-piece-of-shit.html